Keep Lin in Houston!

Open letter to the Rockets: GM

Dear Mr. Daryl Morey,

I have been a Houston Rockets fan since I was five years old. I proudly remember Hakeem Olajuwon and company bringing back to back championships to Houston in the early nineties. I have rooted for the Rockets win or lose and supported the team faithfully over the past decade.

Jeremy Lin is an outstanding basketball player.  I have followed his career since he played at Harvard. My first encounter with Lin was in passing my freshman year at Brown University in 2007. I was leaving track practice as Harvard’s basketball team was arriving to play Brown.

I remember smirking to myself on the way out and thinking, “Harvard would have an Asian basketball player…” I did not stick around to watch the game but over the next couple of years I heard locker room gossip about a Chinese player at Harvard that could play ball.

Then in December 2008, I received a frantic call from my younger brother (a freshman at Rice) about this amazing Chinese basketball player that put on a clinic against The Owls. My initial reaction was, Harvard and Rice would schedule a game against each other. A bunch of nerds running the Princeton offenses—cutting and passing to get open shots. But before the conversation ended my brother said towards the end of the game he saw Lin dunk. My interest was piqued.

I first saw Lin play live against Brown in 2010. For an Ivy League conference game, there was an unusually large student turnout. And although his numbers were not mind blowing his style of play and dissection of Brown’s zone defense was enthralling. Harvard won and I knew with certainty that he was something special.

It came to no surprise to me that he went on such a tear with the New York Knicks. Linsanity was always there. It just needed the right outlet. He provided the Knicks with a much needed spark and single handedly salvaged their season leading them to enough wins to land a playoff spot.

Needless to say one of the happiest days of my life was when Jeremy Lin was signed to the Houston Rockets. His numbers have not been as impressive as they were during that wondrous Linsanity streak in 2012 but his consistency and ability to keep the floor balanced has been invaluable.

With Harden and Parsons on the floor Lin does not need to average 20+ points per game. His job is to keep the Rockets offensive tempo. He is the metronome on the court keeping every pass, cut, and shot in rhythm.

Lin adds value to the Rockets by playing smart. He keeps the floor balanced and creates opportunities for his teammates to attack. He has also proven that he can rise to the occasion and be a clutch player in critical game situations (see Game 5 vs. Portland).

He is due a hefty 8.3 million this year. Challenge him to earn it. Do not make the same mistake of letting Lin go again. The first time was a very costly mistake. Coach McHale should put 8.3 million dollars of trust into Lin. He should not need to split time and shuffle around with Patrick Beverly. They are two different players and I love Beverly but he lacks the offensive insight Lin brings. Bottom line, demand Lin play what he is paid.

Lastly, Lin is constantly criticized for his defensive abilities. I watched the entire Blazers series and there was nothing he could do to stop LaMarcus Aldridge. Nevertheless, he does not have to be a lockdown, hardnosed defender—if his man gets past him Dwight Howard is solid defensive second line. In recovering Lin will look to make a steal on the dished pass.

I have owned two basketball Jerseys in my life. Olajuwon and Lin (I ordered T-Mac but it got lost in the mail). I am a lifelong Rockets fan and will support the team always and forever. Jeremy Lin is an amazing basketball player, great role model, and an inspiration for anyone who has ever wanted to achieve their dream. Keep Lin with the Houston Rockets.

Sincerely,

James H. Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Opportunity Less Community

Love My People

Schooling Putin Sample